Skip to main content

It's been 7 weeks

Wednesdays are kind of a weird day. For the last 7 weeks not one can go by without me going - ugh - it's Wednesday - that means its been one more week. When Aaron was alive it was Mondays that we always braced ourselves for - he NEVER had good Monday's...He was transferred on a Monday, got an air leak on a Monday, and then there was the infamous life threading phlegm wad on a Monday AFTER we thought we had made it through the day. It would be just like him to decide to throw mommy and daddy for a loop and make a Wednesday the ULTIMATE worst day ever.

I know we said this before but we have had nothing but support since the moment I was told I was going to probably have Aaron that night. Since he passed away that support has multiplied yet again. I am constantly surprised by letters from the hospital announcing more memorial contributions - that means so much.

People ask us all the time what they can do for us. There really is not a lot. We need time to grieve and it may be a long time, but calls, cards, emails, prayers etc. All mean so much to us. I will also say we have been lucky to not have any bad stories about silly things people say when they mean to be helpful. Just having someone say they don't know what to say is comforting, because we then know that they at least understand how big of a deal this is and they don't want to say anything dumb. One of the best things someone asked me was just today. I was talking about Aaron (which I LOVE to do by the way- what mommy wouldn't), but this person asked me, "Who did he look like?" I was kind of taken back by it at first - but quickly answered...

We always said that Aaron had my nose. When we had an ultrasound at 20 weeks we got a profile of him and my husband said "He has your nose". When he was born that became even more evident. Other than that - we think he looked like his daddy. I know he had his daddy's chin, face shape and eyes. I am pretty sure his eye color would have been the same as his daddy as well, but he never got past that steel grey color - probably around now we would have known better what color eyes he had. We also always said he had some of my personality. In the womb he was very playful. It gave us quite the laugh to that he liked to "tickle his eye" and had a lot of spit - two qualities that are very much his mommy for those who don't know me well. He was also pretty easy going and he liked to be touched by his mommy and daddy- even all the doctors and nurses told us that.

(Okay, so I didn't tell the person I didn't know that well about the spit and all of that, but I did tell him most of it.)

This person that asked me this question was not someone I know that well at all, but the question meant so much to me - thank you for acknowledging my sons life and thank you to all our friends and family who continue to help us grieve, while continuing to talk about him. Things like that is what will ALWAYS be helpful to keep Aaron alive in our hearts until we can meet him in heaven.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a nice ebtry. We love to talk about Aaron - he is forever in our hearts. Aaron has a new plant at the memorial garden - great grandpa figured out there was too much shade there so he has a new flourishing pentunia plant - pink and bright! and of course....his pound puppy.
Love to both of you and to Aaron.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful entry, Nikki. I write letters to Curtis every Wednesday. I know over time, they may stop or not be every week, but it helps me right now. (I post them on my LJ).

I am glad someone asked you that. My favorite thing someone said... after they said how sorry they were, they didn't know what to say saw I was okay talking about itetc etc, she then said "so, what kinds of things to people say that tick you off?". It was fun to sit and talk with her about that stuff. And I agree, I love talking about Curtis too. Even though he passed away...I am still a VERY proud mom.

And I know you are to.
Anonymous said…
I love the fact that he had your "tickling eye" thing and your spit!

Love ya,
Tracey
XOXO

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those