Skip to main content

A Good (read: Difficult) Book

I stumbled across a book last week. While perusing ESPN.com on my lunchbreak like I do most days, I read an article by David Fleming. At the bottom, was the following paragraph:
David Fleming is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His first book was "Noah's Rainbow: a Father's Emotional Journey from the Death of his Son to the Birth of his Daughter". His next book, based on the controversial 1925 NFL Pottsville Maroons (ESPN Books 2007) has been optioned as a movie by Sentinel Entertainment. Contact him at Dave.Fleming@espn3.com

My thought process, after it, went something like this: "Pottsville Maroons? I wonder if that's the team from Pottsville, PA that if I remember correctly, got screwed out of the NFL title one year..."

Then, what I read REALLY sank in. "Noah's Rainbow? Father's Emotional Journey? Death of his Son? I should click that link."

So, I did. And I found this book. I found the publisher's website, and was able to read the first chapter online for free. So...I did. And the emotional impact of reading about another father who lost a son they were anticipating so greatly hit me square in the chest, and I spent the rest of the day having a VERY difficult day at work. But I knew...I just knew that it was important for me to read this book. So, on my way home from work, I looked at 2 bookstores on the route home, and neither had the book, nor could they get it.

DrummerWife tried to find the book while shopping over the last weekend. No luck. So, we ordered it off of Amazon.com. It arrived Wednesday, and since, I've been painfully reading through it, about a chapter or two a day.

I say painfully, because it is very hard to read another man's story, when it is so similar to my own. It has forced me to address a lot of issues that I attempted to brush under the carpet, or pretend that I was OK with. When it is presented to me, in the guise of someone else's story, I can so easily see the people Mr. Fleming describes being representative of people who have appeared in, returned to, or have always been in my own life throughout this whole ordeal. I can read about an emotional response that Mr. Fleming had to the death of son, and know that there was at least one moment where I felt that exact same emotion. I can read him say how much of a help his (whole extended) family and friends have been to he and his wife, and know with absolute certainty, that he is describing my own family and friends. He says how helpful a particular nurse was while his wife recovered in the hospital, and I can pick out SEVERAL nurses who fit the description of Mr. Fleming's.

I've only completed chapter 4, and I have many yet to go, but this IS an important book for me to read. Even though I do so through tears. This is just an important book.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sweetie,
I am so glad that your were led to read this book. It sounds to me that, although it is a painful journey, He wants you to. I love you and pray for your healing.

Love, Mom
Anonymous said…
Nikki and Josh,

I've been thinking about you guys alot latley, we really miss you sweet Aaron here at BMH NICU. I recently had to do a report on a meaningful moment in my nursing career and I choose to focus on my time with Aaron and with the both of you. By doing so, it brought back lots of feelings and memories. I realized how my time and nursing care wtih Aaron was really a pivotal point in my nursing career. I miss him :) Thank you for letting me be a part of your son's life!
Love,
Nurse Heather
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered this for Craig and myself.
Aaron'sMommy said…
Heather,
Thank you so much for that note. I think that is so cool that you chose to do a report on Aaron. I keep meaning to call when you're working to touch base with you. I am definately going to try this week. You made a huge impact on us as well and we talk about you often. One of my favorite things was when you talked for Aaron so it was like we were having conversations. I don't know how private that report is, but if you would be allowed to share it I would love to read it. I'll call next week since I don't know if you're working this weekend or not :) Take care!

Love,
Nikki
Anonymous said…
I know you get tired of hearing me say it and it looks like Mom already said it. HE is alway there. Especially when you can't even feel Him. I agree, He led you to that book. My prayers are with you as you face the things you need to, but can't even admit to needing. God has blessed you two with so much already. He won't stop now.

Dad
Anonymous said…
I came upon your blog by chance, but even though I don't know you, you will be in my prayers.

If I decide to read this book, it'll be a hard decision; without doubt I would also be reading through my tears. You see, my premature baby survived -- but to my shame, I often think it would be better for her, my husband, and me if she hadn't. It sounds like I have a lot to learn.

May God's grace be with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those