Skip to main content

We all know what today is...

...so I'm not going to bring it up other than to acknowledge what it is, and to say that 5 years later, and today still hurts on some level - I think it always may.

What I really want to say today however, is that to echo DrummerWife's post from last night, I would like to thank all four of Aaron's grandparents. We were lucky to have you all by our side during the duration of Aaron's hospital stay, and for the 27 years of our lives. Aaron would have been very fortunate to grow up with all of you as his Pop, Grandma, Grandpa, Mom-mom, or Pop-pop, whatever. Yesterday's grandparents Recognition at church really drove all of that home for me. When I saw DrummerMom crying as DrummerDad held her after they both stood to be seen as Aaron's grandparents, it made an already difficult morning that much harder for me. I love you both, and I'm proud to call you my parents, and I wish so much that you would have a chance to hold a living Aaron, to feel him in your arms as I was fortunate enough to get to do. I'm so sorry you never got that opportunity.

And to DrummerMother-and-Father-in-Law, I wish the same thing for you as well. I know that none of this has been easy for any of the four of you. Thank you for being there for the two of us.

Also, I want to note that yesterday was quite a difficult day for me. From the moment Aaron became a possibility I looked forward to the little traditions that he and I could start together. And one of those would have (hopefully) been watching sports together as my father and I did as I grew up. Yesterday marked the beginning of what would have been Aaron's first football season watching games with Dad (and Mom). Admittedly, he'd been a little young, and wouldn't have had the foggiest clue what was going on, but it would have counted in my book. As I sat in church yesterday, I suddenly realized what the day was, and that it was just one more thing that I wanted to do with Aaron that I could never do with him.

Coupling that with Grandparents Recognition, and I didn't have a very good Sunday morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aaron was smiling down and yelling "go Eagles"!
Anonymous said…
Nikki's entry on Sunday and your entry on Monday are beautiful and have really stirred my emotions. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the gift of family, including those who have gone on before and wait for us. May you all be loved and blessed.

Love,
Roxie

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those