Skip to main content

A Letter In Response

The following comment was recently posted in response to DrummerWife's "30 Weeks" post to Aaron:
Anonymous said...
Have you and your husband sought professional help yet? It seems VERY odd that after so many months you are writing to your dead child. I realize everyone grieves in their own way, but you clearly need to speak to someone about this. Contrary to popular belief, blogging is not psychological therapy.
6:12 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to respond this anonymous individual.

Several times, comments made on this blog have led my wife and I to tears - but never before has it been out of pain, anger, or disgust. This is the first time this has happened. Previously, when a comment made us cry it was out of comfort - knowing someone out there cared for us, thought about Aaron, or simply wished us well. You, sir or madam, have become the first to make us cry out of hurt. For that, I congratulate you. You obviously succeeded in your mission.

However, we have decided to take the higher road in this situation. I will simply address your comments and concerns, and point out where your logic either flawed, or painfully misinformed.
  1. We have, in fact, sought out, and received counseling for our grief. If you would have bothered to inform yourself about our story (conveniently available right here in this very blog for reading at your leisure) you would know that we attended counseling on a weekly basis for several months leading up to our most recent move. After the new year, we will resume counseling.
  2. Our counselor, a wonderful woman named Linda, not only suggested, but she highly stressed the importance of writing to our son. So, while you think it's "VERY odd" for us to still write to him, it is in fact PART of our grieving process, and is not only healthy, but recommended for us.
  3. You say that "you realize that everyone grieves in their own way", yet you seem oddly unaccepting of the fact that we have decided to share our grief and growth process with others, namely those friends and family who take the time to stop by here on a near daily basis. If you believe that our little chunk of Internet bandwidth is such a blight on the web, don't waste your time here. There are more likely other people out there grieving or suffering that you can insult.
  4. And contrary to YOUR belief, blogging IS psychological therapy. It helps us to share a portion of our lives with those who care to read it (and if you don't think anyone does, I have 25,000+ visits since April to prove to you otherwise.)
  5. One last, and final thing: again, if you had bothered to inform yourself about our situation you would know that this blog existed for 5 months prior to our son's premature birth. It's primary function was to keep family and friends in the loop regarding my wife's pregnancy. Then, after Aaron's birth, it became an easy way for us to keep everyone informed as to Aaron's status. Then, after Aaron's death, it became a way for us to share our experiences with those same friends and family - and anyone else who cared to read about it. If you don't share the same spirit of growth and love, then leave, and please don't return.

The truly sad thing about all of this, is that this "anonymous" poster will probably never see this, and even if they do, they probably won't care, because our grief doesn't fit their preconceived notion of how we should respond to losing our child. I pray, Anonymous, that you never know the pain we feel.

God Bless,
Drummer

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMG! I cannot believe that someone could be so cold! I am sorry, Josh and Nikki.

I believe that you have every right to express your loss anyway you want! OMG, I seen you two everyday in the NICU and cannot imagine what you both went through with the loss of Aaron.

Gosh, many people write in a journal everyday about their life just that no one knows about it and you are brave enough to share with others here.

This may sound sad.... I seen and felt what you guys went through in the NICU as I experienced the same. Reading this every few days helps remind me how lucky I am to have Dylan and especially Skylin as she had the same surgery as Aaron.

Dear anonymous.... Aaron may not be here physically, however he still does remain in many peoples hearts!

Hugs to both of you!
Anonymous said…
I know neither one of you but I was brought to this site after seeing it as a link on a post that Nikki wrote on www.dwlz.com

I have read through a lot of your site and as I was reading I felt your joy and cried for your sorrow.

The fact that you write to your son, is wonderful. It is a tremendous way help deal with your pain.

Your son was a beautiful baby boy and I can tell was loved by everyone who met him.

To the anonymous writer...it is appalling to me that someone would write something so cruel and hurtful to people that they do not even know. Have you not dealt with pain and loss? Have you ever a lost a child? Prior to writing something like you did ever again, I would sit for a moment and think about how the person is feeling and how you might feel in the same situation.
Shanna said…
Hugs and applause to both of you for standing up for yourselves here, whether A-hole-nonymous reads it or not. Your loss and your pain are yours to deal with as you choose - and it may sound strange and out of context, but some people may be jealous of you for the courage that you show by sharing your journey with the rest of us. You owe no explanations to anyone.
Stephanie823 said…
Just another example of how strong and wonderful and amazing you both are...your response to A-hole-nonymous (I like that Shanna!) was dignified and strong and true....mine would have been filled with lots and lots of cuss words. I'm sorry that some people on this earth have no compassion and try to make others as miserable as they must be. Congrats for not stooping to his/her level. Love you guys.
Anonymous said…
You just know how fired up I am.

I, too, write my dead son. I find it a great way to get out my thoughts and the only way I have to "parent" him despite the fact that he isn't here. It is highly recommended by many grief counselors. So, unless anonymous has some type of degree we are all unaware of, I am not sure why they think their opinion is worth mentioning.

I love it when people hide behind anonymous labels. If you are going to say something like that, something you have NO CLUE about, at least be adult enough to use your name.

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those