Skip to main content

40 Weeks

Dear Aaron,

Hi baby boy! Happy 40 Week Heaven Day. We got some snow again this week, most likely the last of it...I hope. Last night daddy and I went to CVS and we ran in and went down the aisle of all the baby stuff (by accident of course). That hasn't really choked me up for a while, but last night it did. I always get particularly choked up by the food and the diapers. I think because when you were sick I always felt so horrible that you were not eating anything. I mean yes, they were giving you fat, vitamins, nutrition etc. through and IV, but the first time the fed you my milk is when they started to discover you were sick. And diapers...I look at those diapers that are so big compared to the ones that you wore and remember just hoping a praying for a wet diaper. It still seems like such a simple thing. Someone sent me this poem a while back...this was definately written by a parent that lost a baby...nobody else could describe it that well..

The Shopping Trip
As I persue the aisles, of the local store,
I see things more differently, than I ever have before.
"Daddy's Little Angel", the embroidered bibs do read.
But, Daddy's angel is in Heaven,and bibs he does not need.
He does not need a bottle, an outfit or a toy.
Of buying those things for him, we shall never know the joy.
There are tiny jars of baby food, that he will never eat,
And tiny shoes with buckles, that will never touch his feet.
As the bikes and trikes taunt me, from high up on the rack,
Tears will break free from my eyes, if I dare look back.
I run off to the restroom, to blow my nose and cry.
I wipe my eyes, swallow hard, and let out a sigh.
I must go face the paper, college and wide rule,
That my little angel, will never use in school.
I hurry past the greeting cards, that the people chose with care,
And I am reminded, of the holidays we shall not share.
In the checkout line I bow my head, and heavy is my heart,
For the family right in front of me, has a newborn in their cart.
Shopping in the local store, used to be mundane.
Now every aisle's full of items, which remind me of my pain.
So, quick as I can, I give the cashier, the money from my purse,
And hurry away from those who don't know my pain, in this foreignly happy universe.

Yes, as much as I really don't like shopping, I would LOVE to have you to tote around and go shopping with. Although last night after our little trip I did have a dream about you...we were shopping together of course. I had you in a stroller and you weren't really old enough to talk yet, but you were old enough to point at things you thought looked fun. That was it, just you and me shopping...me talking to you the whole time and making you giggle and laugh. It's actually one of the first time I've dreamed of you as a baby rather that toddler or kid age. Pastor Al once told me after I talked to him about some of my dreams that God knows what is on my heart and tries to take care of me. Last night I think that dream was definately proof of that. Something that I want so bad and that was definately laying heavy on my heart...Something as simple as want to go shopping with you baby boy...and even though I can't do it in real life there was something very nice and reassuring about being able to do so in my dreams.

I love you peanut!

XOXO,
Mommy

Comments

Josh said…
I realized last week that if yesterday was 40 weeks since Aaron's passing, that he'd been gone for as long as he SHOULD been growing in your womb.

Things like my little realization, and the shopping incident last night, are the kinds of things that most people don't realize has an effect on us - they're the kinds of things that the casual observer might take for granted but that we can't - EVERYTHING is filtered through the Aaron lens. Everything is processed in terms of "how would this be different if Aaron was here?" And the answer is always "it would be better."
Anonymous said…
I've been thinking all day that this is 40 weeks and had the same thought that drummer had. I have been out of sorts all day today and could not figure out why - sometimes I believe the pain of both of you is somehow shared - even when we don't know what event has happened. My heart breaks for you. Love to both of you, Mom W
Anonymous said…
The littlest things will bring tears to my eyes or make my heart ache as I pass by something that makes me think of Aaron or if I hear a particular song. You are always in my thoughts and in my heart. I pray and hope for peace, love, and happiness for you.

Roxie

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those