Skip to main content

47 Weeks etc.

Dear Aaron,

Hi baby boy! I know I am a little late, but this time I was waiting until now to write on purpose. I wanted to write today. Today is when it began. I think "it" is the best way I can think of to describe everything. "It" is the happiness, the tears, the fears, the frustration, the support and the outpouring of love and kindness that daddy and I experienced. Today we did a lot, but whenever I finally stopped and slowed down I finally broke down. I cried and what happened last year. I was so scared and trying to be so tough. I thought if I could convince everyone you were okay that they would just leave you alone. I just told daddy for the first time tonight that I can remember being told that they would most likely have to deliver you that evening, my first reaction was that of any mother...pure excitement. I was so excited that I would get to meet you. Then the reality set in, that this was not a normal birth. You might not even survive the night...I might not even survive the night. This was serious or else they would just leave us alone. I remember everyone rushing to the hospital and daddy and I trying to finalize the name. Heck, we even told the doctor we were going to name you Owen. I changed my mind on the delivery table and told daddy I really wanted it to be Aaron. I am glad we did...you are definately an Aaron. Everyone was scared, for you, for me and for daddy too. I was laying there in the hospital watching your heart beat in the monitor. You were FINE....you had no idea what was about to happen. If there was anything I could have done I would have done it....anything at all. I had a GREAT pregnancy until that week...no morning sickness even.

Today, I should have spent the day with you...getting ready for you BIG first birthday party. Instead, I made a stepping stone to put out front with your name and "You are our sunshine" on it. It's beautiful and I'll be very glad to have it, but I didn't spend the day with you. I miss you peanut. I'm sorry that all of this happened. I'm sorry for all of us. I love you so much and always will and I hope that this weekend all that we are doing to remember you makes you smile while you are watching us and makes you even prouder to call all of us your family. I am so proud of everyone for everything they do to remember you, and I will always make sure everyone knows that I'm Aaron's Mommy.

Lots of love,
Mommy

Comments

Josh Mc Alister said…
Thank you for sharing your struggle with us. I have 2 kids, a 3 year old, and a 13 month old. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I lost them.
Reading your thoughts as you journey to find peace in the midst of your sorrow helped me appreciate my children even more. My prayer for you:
Father, please comfort this family as they try to live their lives without their son. I pray that you would heal them. Protect their marriage. Thank you for blessing them with Aaron and giving them precious memories of his life. Amen.
May God bless you. Thank you. JM
emily said…
Nikki,

I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you this weekend. I know that this will be a hard time for you. You are doing so much to honor Aaron, I know that he is looking down on you and smiling.

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those