Skip to main content

Whew...

Wow. That was a long, crazy, busy weekend.

Friday night, DrummerWife and I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of a long-time DrummerFamily-friend. My God-parent's daughter got married to an old friend of mine from high school, and it proved to be an exhausting night for both of us - both physically and emotionally.

First off, before anyone gets the wrong idea, it is 100% A-OK for you to approach us and talk about Aaron, the blog, or anything relating to either. We do enjoy talking about it - honestly. But I guess that neither DrummerWife or myself realized how much of an impact everything really made on many of you. It was surprising to hear from so many people about how they read the blog every day, or how often they pray for DrummerWife or myself. It really is great to hear. But by the end of the night (after a few beers/wines/etc.) it really started to *impact* us.

It's also strange to see what effects us and what doesn't. We were at a wedding - a happy occasion - and we really do like both the bride and groom - they're great people, we get along well with both of them, and we were both so happy to see them "tie the knot." But watching the groom dance with his mother...well...it kinda did a number on DrummerWife. Kind of a "this is one more thing that Aaron will never do, and I'll never get to do with him" moment for DrummerWife. It was the kind of thing you wouldn't have even though about until the moment you saw it occurring to someone else and went - "Oh crap..."

It didn't take long for her to recover though, and we really did have a great time Friday night. It was nice catching up with a bunch of my old high school friends and acquaintances.

Saturday night, we went up to the Reading Phillies for a double-header as part of the birthday celebration for a friend of ours from our Nerd Night group. Our friend got to throw out the first pitch as part of the whole deal, and despite that fact that his throw managed to traverse approximately 1/10th of the 60 feet, 6 inches from the pitchers mound to home plate, it was a good time, too. (We were just a little bushed from the night before: free beer and wine sticks with you for a little while after the fact.)

Sunday was church, and lunch afterwards with my parents, brother (and his girlfriend), grandparents, and cousins (and my cousin Dan's son). We went out to celebrate DrummerWife and my 2nd anniversary which is today.

We're keeping it low-key tonight. We're finally going to get around to drinking the champagne we got as a wedding gift from my friend 2 years ago (we were going to save it for our 1st anniversary...but we were kind of alcohol-ed out last year as the result of a little over-drinking of wine at an outdoor concert at a winery the night before.) But we're going to pop the cork tonight and pour the champagne out into the champagne flutes my friend gave us with the bubbly, cook a nice meal, exchange cards, and watch our wedding video. We wanted to do more, but the last few months have made that kinda impractical. We'll have a good time, I'm sure. It's been 2 great years, despite the trials of the past few months.

I love you, DrummerWife. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Happy Anniversary to two Beautiful People!!!!

Love,
Tracey
XOXO
Aaron'sMommy said…
I love you to DrummerHusband! Happy Anniversary!
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary to both of you!
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary Josh and Nikki, with love from TNL.
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary!
I kept trying to figure out what wine sticks were! And then it hit me.
Elderly Uncle
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary Drummers!

I won't sing the song, but I'm remembering DrummerMom singing it at you...and that was BEFORE the wine started flowing ;-)

Shanna

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron didn't make it.

About 3 hours ago, Aaron passed away. After speaking with his doctors earlier in the last few weeks, we decided that if at any point they were no longer supporting Aaron's life, but instead preventing him from dying, that we didn't want him to suffer any longer. We reached that point this morning. Aaron had been struggling for life from Day One, and after surgery, and several weeks of fighting, Aaron ran out of strength. He fought hard, but the strain of surgery just proved to be too much for him. I'm sure I'll feel up to posting more information later. I just don't seem to have any energy left in me for relating this at the moment. But I did feel it was important to share this information with all of you who have been keeping tabs on us. Thank you for your concern, your prayers, and your well-wishes during this difficult time. We love you. P.S.: I'd like to leave you with the following lyrics that popped into my head while we held Aaron as he passed away. They

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts

We feel so loved and supported right now and would like to thank each and every one of you. Whether we know you or not we know we are in your thoughts. We told Aaron each and every day how loved he was and I know that he knew that. I know that all of you were praying for a different outcome in all of this, but obviously God had a different plan. There are moments when I am at peace with this and moments when I am not. As hard and upsetting as it was - I am not sure I will ever experience a more peaceful moment as I did when I sat there holding Aaron after they had all the tubes and wires off and before he actually passed. Yes, I did hold him the whole time - at first I didn't think I could but God gave me the strength and I am so happy that I did. Josh pointed out last night that the time they placed him in my arms was at 12:44 pm. Ironically, Aaron was born at 12:44 am - I don't think that was a coincidence. My brother-in-law pointed out to me that Aaron was in our lives for 3

IT WASN'T NEC!

After a long day of sitting at the hospital, hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst, the surgeon came in to talk to us and revealed to us that things went better than anyone could have possibly expected. Aaron never had an infection. What he did have though, was a hernia. He had a loop of intestine trapped beneath another loop, and while it was never "infected," it was trapped and deprived of blood, so it was dead. The surgeon removed the damaged loop, and thankfully, there is plenty more intestine left in there for Aaron. He's recovering peacefully from today's surgery, and was already at 28% oxygen (21% is room air) on the ventilator, and his other stats were all back where they were pre-surgery. He's doing fine. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes during this time. I fully believe that Aaron wouldn't have rebounded from yesterday's procedure so quickly, and wouldn't have been as ready for today's if not for those